Sunday, August 24, 2014

Imperfections

Well, let's begin with the definition of imperfection. Imperfection is the quality or condition of being imperfect. Now I can't stand when part of the word is in the definition, so let's dig a little deeper. Imperfect is characterized by defects or weaknesses; not perfect; lacking completeness.

So now I ask you to picture your definition of perfection. Whether it be the perfect place to go on vacation, such as the Caribbean where I picture crystal clear blue water with white sand and palm trees all around. Or maybe you picture the perfect day, which for me would be a day in the fall where there is not a green leaf in sight and all you need is a sweatshirt to keep you comfortable. Or something that I often picture is my future life with a child that I will hopefully one day hold. 

But if you really think about it, perfect is overrated where nothing is really perfect. That place in the Caribbean that I only dream about going to has its own flaws. Maybe, knowing my luck, all it does is rain on the day I wanted to spend at the beach. Or what about all the sand that can find its way into uncomfortable places. Now that perfect day could be a day where the sun doesn't even bother poking through the clouds. It could also be a day where mother nature decides to do something crazy, like snow in October - and after this winter, we all know that could be a possibility. And then finally, the perfect life with the perfect child. 

I always find myself picturing how I want the future to look for me. I find myself living in a house that's a little smaller than a mansion - I mean I can dream right? In this life, I never have to go to work because I started so many different businesses where I can do everything from my house. Then I have three children, one average height and two dwarfs, running around the house doing what kids do. Yes, I have everything planned to the last detail in my perfect life.

Now some would say that somethings about me aren't close to perfect, because, you know, I'm short. And more chances than not, my kids will be too. Sadly, they have to live in a world where they will be judged based solely on their height. Laughs, stares, and name calling will be nothing out of the ordinary for them. I'm here to say that it's true, I'm not anywhere near perfect, but I'm also not anywhere close to being imperfect either. It's time that people start understanding that one simple sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment